Monday, 26 August 2013

Simplicity 1699

Simplicity has a sale on! I had to hold myself back, I have a number of patterns that I would like, however I managed to stick to 4. One of the patterns that I got was Simplicity 1699, it has 4 patterns with it and I chose to make the peplum top in a red polka dot cotton/poly mix.

This was quite a quick pattern to complete considering that it's almost a dress with all the pattern pieces, so I look forward to making the dress at some point.

I didn't quite fancy the short sleeves, so I used the pieces for the longer sleeves from the dress. 

Some of these pics almost make it look like I'm wearing a paper bag, but I swear it doesn't look like that in real life. The top could have done with being a little more snug, but I like to have a bit of ease.

I don't know how the photo's came out so badly, or why I'm not smiling! I would, however, like to point out that we've spent half the day down the pub in front of the sun, so a mixture of Baz being a bit drunk and me being a bit sun sizzled has produced some rather rubbish pics!!!

The detail on the sleeves is lovely, the way the edge is curved, but it confused the heck out of me when I started to created the hem, I just didn't even click when I was cutting out the pieces, but it's a nice finish.

I meant to use the instructions this time, but I got a little carried away and forgot all about them!  The pieces all came together quite neatly, this was quite an easy garment to construct. I think it's time for that challenge that I've been putting off, I think it's time to make those trousers... Watch this space!!!

Sunday, 18 August 2013

New Look K6123 wrap dress

So I've finally finished my New Look K6123 faux-wrap dress, that I was intending to wear at my Cousin's wedding on the 4th! Instead I managed to finish it just in time for the Girls night out tonight.

I really liked the material that I made it with, a 2-way stretch with a satin finish. It also wasn't too bad to work with. The pattern however didn't exactly fit on the first go. I traced the size 12, but I wish I'd maybe used the size 8 for the shoulders, moving to a size 10 at the bust and then the 12 towards the waist, so as it worked out it was really baggy and I had a lot of adjusting to do.

Even after all of the adjusting I was still conscious that I was flashing my chest tonight! But I always seem to have that problem with low cut tops.

All in all, I like this dress, but I may pin the two wrap sections together next time I wear it.

Really should have sucked that gut in!

Friday, 16 August 2013

Fabworks, Dewsbury

I've been so busy lately, that I've not done much sewing. So it has taken longer that I'd expect to finish my Joel Dewberry Meadow Spirit Skirt and the dress that I've been on with. Both still need finishing off, both have needed huge adjustments. I know creating a toile would save this, but the tweaks required take less time.

Seeing as I've not finished anything, I thought I'd talk about the fabric shop that I visited this week. I'm not sure that's factually correct, it's more like a warehouse! It's called Fabworks mill shop and is located in Dewsbury, West Yorkshire, not far from the local train station. They have all sorts in stock for all of your crafty sewing needs. I felt like I was in a dream, you could easily go in there and lose the contents of your purse within minutes!!

They have a webpage that you can find here.

Here's some pictures that I took:

The front courtyard

Excellent dressmaking fabrics
More dressmaking fabrics
Even more dressmaking fabrics
Some of their ribbons, binding etc

Upholstery fabric & leather Scraps
More upholstery fabric

and more...
and more...

more fabric
Buttons and things

Saturday, 3 August 2013

Easily pleased

Nipped out to get a zipper for the dress I'm making, and found this totally adorable ironing board cover. I'd planned to make a new one until I'd seen this, I love it so much I wanted to share its wonderful cheeriness with everyone!